Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Catching up!

Whew!  I can't believe that we are already in the fourth week of school!!  Holy Cow!!!  I have been so busy getting to know my kids and learning the second grade curriculum!  Second grade is soooo different than third grade, but I am loving it so far!  I am working on creating a few things that I wanted to let you know about!  1. I had a request to create the Spin That Number game for numbers to 1,000.  I am hoping to have that done by tomorrow!  2.  I am also working on a morning work packet.  I have been using it in my class, and it has worked really well!  I can't wait to share it with you:)  Look for that next week! 

So I have a fun activity that I wanted to share with you. In math, we have been review place value concepts.  I finished the unit today with one of my favorite activities that I do with my kids each year. A lot of teachers that I work with use this activity, and they always turn out so cute.   I did not come up with this idea, and I'm not sure where it came from, but it would be so simple to recreate if you wanted to! The only materials that you need are paper base ten blocks and construction paper! 

The students use paper base ten blocks to create a base ten creature.  Then, they find the value of their creature, write the value in word form, and then write the value in expanded form.  Here are two examples that my kids did today!  I love seeing how creative they get:) 
 


 
Well, that's about it for now! I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend:) Have a wonderful week! 




1 comments:

Debbie Jacobson said...

Today after school my partner and I each created a sample Place Value Person. We loved your idea! Thank you for being so creative!
Debbie & Beth

Post a Comment